Friday, April 25, 2014

Miss A Learns to Crochet

One of the things that constantly amazes me about crafting, is the share factor. Crafting is not like chocolate: hoarding it does not make me feel more satisfied. No, crafting is something I love to share, it's something I need to share. But simply giving someone the end product of my crafty efforts is not what brings me the most joy.

Sure, I get all giddy when people ooh and ahh over the scarf I made them. And yeah, if someone tells me that the hat I made them makes them smile every time they wear it, I'll probably cry. But nothing compares to sharing my passion for creating by teaching someone how to do it themselves.


Maybe it's the whole "teach a man to fish" thing that makes me so excited. Maybe it's the fact that I'm giving someone new a glimpse inside a whole new part of creativity. Maybe I just love passing on skills to other people, perpetuating the love for making things with one's own hands. Maybe I just want more people to hang out with at the yarn store.

Regardless of the reason, I love teaching people. Especially kids.

She liked my hat a lot, so I had to let her wear it. Who could say no to that face??
On Wednesday, I had the honor of teaching one of the cutest seven-year-olds I know the basics of how to crochet. We started with the chain stitch, and Miss A was absolutely thrilled to stitch along with me.  She was the perfect student. When it was time for me to go, she informed me that I had to come back next week to "teach her the next part." Be still, my heart! I remember when this little lady was a mere infant, and now she's stitching along like a pro.


It reminds me of myself, when I was a little kid: begging my Grandma to teach me to do the magic stuff with the yarn and hook. It's something my Grandma and I still bond over, and something I look forward to bonding over with my kids. While it might not be crocheting my kids are excited about, the anticipation of passing on some skill to my own little ones is indeed thrilling. All the things I have learned from my elders are treasures; treasures I love to share with anyone willing to sit and learn.

Can't wait for next time I get to hang with Miss A and teach her "the next part." Passing along these skills that were passed along to me is a great investment. Plus, she is too dang cute, is she not? Look at her with that rainbow yarn. Can't even handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment