Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Experimental Photography and Image Handling: 5KCBWDAY3


For today's topic, I challenged myself to take photos that would explain the entire process of bleaching cotton yarn and require as few words of explanation as possible. This is a particularly tricky challenge for me because, a) I love to talk, and b) I love to talk. I spent a lot of time thinking about some of the picture tutorials I have seen on the internet recently: a lot of them require almost no words at all!! Why then, should I not try and challenge myself to make a similar tutorial? No reason at all.

I've made tutorials and patterns in the past, but they all seem to end up a bit wordy. I really had to flip my perspective for this challenge and think about how I as a crafter use tutorials and patterns. Essentially, I use them like a framework. A skeleton of ideas from which I can develop my own techniques and strategies. I know there are plenty of people out there who love to know exactly which stitch goes where, and exactly how long the yarn needs to soak in the beach water, but this is a different sort of tutorial. The sort that says: You decide! You are smart! You are crafty! Get to it! I believe in you! Just make sure you don't try and dilute the bleach with ammonia and you should be fine!!

And let me tell you, it was hard for me to wrap my mind around making a tutorial this way. But that's the joy of Knit and Crochet Blog Week, right? Challenging ourselves to see our favorite craft and blog techniques differently; to give them new light not only to ourselves but to other knitters and crocheters and bloggers. I am loving it so far. Hope you all are too!!!

Happy crafting!!


No comments:

Post a Comment