Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thrift Score: Sweaters Galore!

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
I do not think there is much I find more satisfying (when it comes to shopping) than scoring a ton of wonderful wearables from the thrift store. The savings compared to buying first hand are enormous, and it's just too fun to paw through all that random assortment in search of a gem.

On my last thrifting trip, I indeed hit the mother load. In my hometown there is an amazing thrift store run by one of the area Churches. It is called "Share Stuff." It is entirely staffed by volunteers, and all the proceeds go directly to our local "Sharefest" which is an annual project where volunteers work to refurbish local schools. Too cool, right? Not only does Share Stuff have the best selection of used clothing, I can feel extra good about where my money is going!

Added bonuses about Share Stuff are the fact that they pretty much wash all the clothing that comes in, and they are picky about what they accept. No major stains or holes or defect on their wares!! It's awesome. As if all that is not enough, they have weekly sales that are pretty much insane. When I went in, they were having a Winter Sale. All their sweaters, flannels, fleeces, button-ups, and coats were $1.

ONE DOLLAR. I don't know where else you can get a better deal. Enough blabbing. Onto my haul!!

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

This was the first beauty I saw when I started going through the racks. I swooned. It had the store tags still on it!! Brand spankin' new, for one dollah. Heck yeah, it came home with me!!! It has such a folksy, romantic feel to it. This winter has been long and brutal, and shows no sign of giving way to spring any time soon. So why not supplement my winter wear with some blooms?

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
My camera went a little nuts. In real life, the sweater is navy, not purple.

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
The embroidery is to die for. So cute!!

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Never heard of this brand, but I'm not one to be loyal to a brand.
 The embroidery even continued to the back yoke of the cardigan. Just stunning. I love articles of clothing with nice, unexpected details and this cardi certainly fit that bill. I can't wait to wear it!! I already have several outfits in mind.

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Dat stitchery.

Next up was a drapey knit cardigan with all sorts of stripes. There are no pockets, which normally is a turn off for me on this type of garment, but for a dollar, I think I can deal with it. Besides, since this sweater is synthetic it is machine washable and super soft. Those are very important traits when it comes to sweaters for me!!
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
 This stripey sweater also had brand new store tags on it. Never been worn!! What, whaaattt?? It must have been my lucky day. Finding one "brand new" thrift item is a big deal, but two in one day? Winning. Pure winning.
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
 Can I take a moment to point out how nicely the stripes line up on the sleeves? Maybe I'm a fiber nerd, but not a ton of clothing manufacturers seem to be putting this kind of thought into their garments anymore. I keep seeing sloppy seams, raw edges, and all sorts of other shortcuts in the stores lately. I understand companies are pressured to make a high volume of stuff for a low low cost, but I for one am willing to pay the extra bit for quality clothing construction. If it weren't so expensive, I'd make all my clothes myself. -pouts-
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

These next two tops I got at another local charity thrift store. This one supports the Rescue Mission for homeless in our area. It's another Christian organization that I can feel good about supporting. Unlike some of the -ahem- big name thrift stores with executives making six figures. I just don't get that.

Anyways, this first top is pretty spiffy, if you ask me. Bohemian and delicious. It's flowy, too, so hopefully I'll be able to wear it for a few more weeks. Dat baby bump is growin'!!
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
 I just love the colors and the pattern. The fabric has a really nice feel to it as well. This one was $3. Oh man. Breaking the bank, yo. Haha.
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Dat pattern.

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

 This top also came from the Rescue Mission thrift store. I am discovering that I really do want to be a gypsy when I grow up. All these floraly, flowy tops! I am just drawn to them! So boho.
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Love that little pleated detail.
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
The fabric kind of reminds me of retro calico prints. Just another reason to love it!!
 This brown shirt was $3. I was on a roll with the good deals that day!!
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

Another super exciting find at the Rescue Mission Mart was this denim skirt! I have a lot of maxi skirts in my wardrobe, but not a good work-horse denim skirt. I fell in love with this one immediately. It's big for me, but that will be beneficial as the baby bump progresses. And it is pretty much the perfect length: mid knee. I can wear it in the summer or now, with sweater leggings. The latter I have already done. Love it!
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Another example the type of construction details I adore on clothes: these pleats. They aren't just any pleats, they are three structured, fully finished off, beautifully seamed pleats. They add to the structure and flow of the skirt without being ridiculous or flimsy. Just look at them. Looooookkk aaattt theeeeemmm. Maybe you all aren't as obsessed with details like this as I am, but you have to at least admit, this is a niiicceee skirt.
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Those pleats. Just. Yes.
 Another fashion bonus with this skirt (besides the fact it was $5) is that it is a dark enough denim that you can really dress it up if you want to. I'm not going to go all fashion theory on you guys, since I've ranted enough about pleats, but not all denim is created equal. Some denim is just for casual times. Argue if you want, but you are wrong, and I am right. This denim goes both ways. Dark enough to be fancy, and denim enough to be casual. -drops mic- Fashion bully ranter girl, out!
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

You may have seen this lil beaut yesterday when I was wearing it in some pictures. This is another one of the $1 sweaters from Share Stuff and let me tell you, it is a lot of sweater for just one dollar. This thing is sturdy. It's heavy. Made out of cotton and knitted into these thick, rich cables I mean, hello! This thing is a work of art. Albeit mass-produced art, but art nonetheless. And it's green, so hey. I had to have it.
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
 It's a little bit small on me in the sleeve department, but nothing unbearable. It's super cozy and great to wear around on these frigid days when all I want to do is stay in bed and wear a hoodie. This is a good alternative that allows me to be just as warm and less of a bum. Pullovers are so classy, right? Right. And this one is green, so....come on. Can't fail, here.
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Those cables!!!

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Do you see how poofy the collar is? So thick. So warm. Love it.
 I also scored two tea cups for a dollar and the Rescue Mission Mart. I have been in such a cutesy mood since we moved and these swirly cups just called to me.

"Carolyn, Carolyn, you don't have your own house but you need us! Drinking tea out of us will make you feel like you aren't living in someone else's house. You'll feel fancy!"

So I bought them. Because teacups.
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!

And a few parting fashion shots of outfits I compiled out of stuff I had on hand and my new goodies. I had to play with them once they were all washed. Couldn't help it. No regrets.

Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Had to crop my derp face out. It was pretty special.
 That teal top with my first pair of prego jeans. Awwww yeah. Elastic on top. I know it doesn't look like it in this picture, but the bump is making itself known. And making me not be able to fit in my clothes. Haha. But this is the best reason for not fitting. A baby is coming!!
Forever Last in Line: Thrift Score!
Love dis outfit.
And this red maxi skirt and I are going to be bffs, I can already tell. I got it a couple of weeks ago and already want to pair it with everything. Maxi skirts > sweatpants. So comfy. So flowy. So good.

That about wraps that up! Have you had any good thrift scores lately??
Linkin' up at these fine sites!

No comments:

Post a Comment