Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Drying Herbs


 Over this summer, thanks to the ever loving and benevolent Pyper Jean, I've amassed a nice little stash of delicious herbs.

Chocolate mint
I've never dried my own herbs before, and I was under the impression that it takes tons of effort. I mean, yeah, I'll use the heck out of fresh stuff from people's gardens, but that's as far as it can go. Mostly because I was terrified of the process. I vaguely remember seeing a screen set up that required a fan and carefully timed leaf turning schedules. Yeah, you don't need any of that nonsense.

Chocolate mint dried for tea
All ya gotta do is pop those plants on a wall outside. Or inside. Or anywhere!! Lucky for me, the previous tenants in our apartment put lots of nails in the wall on our balcony: perfect for herb drying.

Sage
I dried chocolate mint, oregano, sage, rosemary, tarragon, orange thyme, lemon thyme, and regular thyme. I am so pleased to now be culinarily adept enough to be able to say to myself, "Oh I should season this with some of my home-dried herbs!"

Because I'm the only one who really feels special about it.

Well, my wallet does too. Do you know how expensive herbs are at the grocery store?? It is straight up RIDICULOUS, yo. But now, I'm not slave to the Spice Islands or  old man Mckormic anymore.

Herb gardens!!!!! For the win!!

Oregano
Have you ever dried herbs at home? What's your favorite herb?

No comments:

Post a Comment